• Question: What was your annual salary when you first set out as an engineer and what is your annual salary now?

Asked by EmilyRidley to Fran, Peppe, Greg, Petros, Pooja on 14 Nov 2017. This question was also asked by sheldon cooper.
    • Photo: Greg Chance

Greg Chance answered on 14 Nov 2017:

First job was 24k and the second job was as high as 42k and now I’m at 32k.

• Photo: Fran Zuch

Fran Zuch answered on 14 Nov 2017:

First job was 19k, now I am on 30k – but that is lower than market because when you work for a startup company you may get less at first, but you also get a stake in the company. 🙂

• Photo: Petros Papapanagiotou

Petros Papapanagiotou answered on 15 Nov 2017:

In my first full-time position I started from around £20k. I now earn around £35-40k a year in my University position. Jobs in the industry tend to pay more for the same amount of experience.

• Photo: Pooja Narayan

Pooja Narayan answered on 15 Nov 2017:

Hi Emily,

A very good question. I started at 24k after uni in my first job at Cambridge. Soon after an year it went up to 26k in the same job. In Oxford, I made around 34k in my second job. Now I’m in India, although I can’t directly compare, I make an equivalent of about 45k an year.. Airbus is a huge organisation and I’m in the chief technology research department and my boss’s boss is the CTO (chief technology officer) so the salaries are typically higher. This is my third job after uni.

Engineering can land you many glamorous things and one of those is a good salary. Keep your research about engineering going.

Thank you.

Comments